Thursday, October 14, 2004

Matter of Perspective

One of the cool things about being unemployed, you get to hang out with your preacher friends. Haven't gone golfing, yet, but, fortunately(?), there's still time. Today I got to go to a meeting with several preachers that goes on monthly. I guess the only thing that was on the agenda was these fellows from a hurch in Winston Salem, here in NC. They were needing some advice and support for a unique problem. This particular church is somewhat of a trailblazing church in NC because it, quite a few years ago, saw a need for a Hispanic ministry. It took off and before long grew larger than this small church. This church had many of the same problems that other small churches have. I guess the big one is that people decide that the small churches are too small for them, not enough going on, so they go somewhere else. I guess it comes from laziness, people rather enjoying the fruit of someone else's labor than doing any of their own. They don't realize how exciting it is to be a part of something growing. The mindset "I want my kids to go to a church where there is an active youth group (rather than try to build one)." I guess a rant for another time.
Anyway, these small church problems were going on while a very successful Hispanic ministry was going on. I'm not sure if there was some jealousy going on or what, but the Anglo part of the church started getting smaller. Of the remaining 30 or so remaining Anglo members, there is only one family that has a child, the rest of the church is over 60. The Hispanic segment has activities that go on almost every day of the week, and on Sundays they have, in regular attendance, about 100. The problem is, the Hispanic church is not able to be self-supporting for about 5 years (based on various demographic and income level:contribution projections). The Anglo church sees how important a work is going on and is actively involved in as much as they can (they have a big brother/big sister time on Saturdays in which many of the Anglo members help the Hispanic kids with school homework and projects). In supporting this they have gone without a full time preacher for a year and a half. What a wonderful sacrifice, but they need help. Now they know that the Hispanic ministry needs more help and are trying to find solutions. One of the thoughts is selling the building and moving somewhere else (they soon will be outgrowing the existing building) another is merging with a larger church but keeping their support earmarked for the Hispanic ministry.
What has me amazed about the whole thing is how important perspective is in getting through this. How important it is in understanding. It reminded me of something that God taught me a few years ago. There is no problem that exists or suffering that comes about without a blessing being revealed. Let me explain this a little. My problem these days is that I, even though I have an MBA, am unemployed and cannot find work and cannot support my wife and I. Big problem. But there is at least two blessings uncovered. One, I have an MBA (something that in it self is amazing) and two, that I have a wife (even more amazing than having an MBA). I remember being stressed out in a recording studio, worried about how long it was taking, how expensive it was getting, and how everyone's tensions were high because we had no life than in the studio. Then I realized, my problems come from being in a band(1) that played music I enjoyed(2) that had people who enjoyed listening to it(3) wanting us to make an album(4). Four blessings, and I could have gone further. I used to see someone grieving the loss of a wife or a husband or a child, and feel a little envious (this was before my wife). Envious because they had at least had a chance to experience that kind of love in the first place. Every problem or bit of suffering reveals a blessing. When we read the commands to always rejoice we need to know that it is possible. It is always possible to praise God in the deepest, darkest, or most frustrating times in our lives. We all know Romans 8:28 "28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (ESV) Some manuscripts phrase it as "God works all things together for good," or "God works in all things for the good." I am no scholar and make no claims to be so what is the most accurate rendition of this verse I don't know and may God spare me from heated or "lively" debates over this. I read in some Charles Stanley book once (I can't remember which) a paraphrase of it that really gets to the heart of it, as far as I'm concerned: "The Lord may not have planned that this should overtake me, but He has most certainly permitted it. Therefore, though it were an attack of an enemy, by the time it reaches me, it has the Lord's permission, and therefore all is well. He will make it work together with all life's experiences for good." This brings about something great also. Not only is there a blessing revealed in whatever tough situation we go through, but He will make it work for good, for His purpose. The purpose will likely be something that, if it isn't something so big we will never understand, will likely be one that we won't understand until we can step back from it at it's completion. Our situation can be God's tool. We can have a part in God's great design for something else. In any other situation I would consider being called a tool a bad thing, but in the hands of the Master Artist of the Universe, I consider it to be a wonderful blessing.
What an honor. God make me a tool. Make me an instrument of Your peace, an instrument of Yours for whatever purpose You have. Just make me Yours and Yours alone. amen.

raymond, a child of the King

No comments: