One thing that the experience I spoke of in the previous post, and others similar to it, has done is altered my view on translations of the Bible. I still have many translations that I use, but not for the same purpose that I once did. There have been many heated debates and arguments about which translations to use and not to use. I have read many well written and well thought out essays and articles about these matters. I have known of churches to split over these debates. It is a heated matter for many. For me, though, the matter is simple. I want people to understand God’s message. I want to understand it. How else can we benefit from it if we don’t understand? Carrying a Bible in my hand is not going to save my soul. Memorizing a bunch of words that I really don’t comprehend will not make me a better person. Spouting a bunch of hard to grasp verses to people can not help them change if every other word goes over their head. A Bible, not understood, does no good at all. Some translators can go overboard with putting the Bible in colorful street language that diminishes the integrity of the Word, while others can go overboard with trying to make the reading of Scripture and intellectual, linguistic challenge. Then there are those whose desire is to preserve not the work of the original, God-inspired authors of the Word, but the work of those who first translated the Word into what was the modern day English some 400 years ago. There needs to be a balance. That balance should be found in finding out what level the reader is on, spiritually, intellectually, and in their ability to grasp the written word, whether in their first language or not. The original text of the Newer Testament was written in the most common form of the language, koine Greek for the time period as opposed to the Greek used by playwrights, scholars, poets, and philosophers. The reason was simple, it was written for the simple by the simple to convey simple truths and instructions about life and a simple plan of salvation.
I have several translations that I use on a regular basis and here I will attempt to, as plainly as possible, explain why I use them. Click on the title of the version to go to that versions website to see their translating philosophy and process.
English Standard Version (ESV)
This is a new favorite of mine that I have found to be very accurate with the language and the meaning. I believe it to be a very accurate literal translation that does a good job of keeping the thought and the heart of the scripture in the translating very understandable.
GOD'S WORD®
This is the one that I use most frequently because it is, as it was intended to be, a wonderful version for first time readers of the Bible and for those who aren’t familiar with language that has been commonly used in more popular translations like King James, New King James, New American Standard, and even the New International Version. The only problem that I have is that it uses the word ‘kindness’ for ‘grace.’ Other than that I love it.
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
This is another new favorite of mine because of its being a very accurate translation that holds to the integrity of every word as it was originally written but, somehow, have come up with one that is very contemporary. It still keeps the theological terminology that there is now modern equivalent, but it still remains easy to follow. A bonus for me is how consistent they are with translating the various names of God, for example, Elohim is always God, YHWH (the personal name of God more commonly known as Yahweh is always translated LORD. Adonai is consistently Lord, Adonai Yahweh: Lord GOD, Yahweh Sabaoth: Lord of Hosts, and El Shaddai: God Almighty.
I have yet to purchase the full version of this Bible. I have, though, the New Testament, but use online versions quite a bit.
Complete Jewish Bible
This is a real favorite of mine because it is translated by a Messianic Jew for those who have a Jewish background. It also lets us that are not of Jewish background understand more of the culture that Christianity came out of. It uses the original names for people or things, like Jesus is called Yeshua, Peter are called Kefa, God the Holy Spirit is called Ruach HaKodesh, and peace is shalom. Also the Tanakh (Old Testament) is arranged more in keeping with the original Hebrew organization than how we have traditionally known it to be. This could be seen by some to be confusing, which it can be at times, but it is well worth using because of the challenge to look deeply and reframe your understanding of scripture and it will, if allowed, draw you into the world of the Bible. It is definitely more than a novelty.
Easy-to-Read Version in English (ERV)
This version is very close to my heart. It was originally known as “The English Version for the Deaf” and was designed to be read by people who are deaf. This isn’t well known, but people who are deaf don’t really speak English, they speak Sign Language which is a language all unto itself. This has made reading and understanding the Bible much easier for speakers of Sign Language and has been incredibly beneficial for deaf ministries. It was later found to be incredibly well written for new speakers and readers of English, especially for those whose first language is not English and are new to the language, so they also began titling it the Easy-to-read Version and have since began doing easy to read versions in many other languages. What makes this special for me is my family and my congregation has had foreign exchange students who benefited greatly from the ERV Bibles that we gave them. It would be a wonderful asset to churches that have a Hispanic ministry and would like to teach them how to learn English using the Bible. I have owned one for over 10 years. It is also wonderful to use for adults whose reading skills are not very advanced because it can be understood and comprehended easily without being demeaning to them because it is not a children’s Bible with a cute cover and cute illustrations throughout (not that there is anything wrong with that).
New International Version (NIV)
I use this sometimes because it does have some instances where it has the best translation of the scripture that I am sharing, but it is not a personal favorite for reasons of taste. It is really common which is good if you want everybody to follow along in their own Bible.
New Living Translation (NLT)
This translation I really like sometimes and other times I don’t. It is really easy to read and understand but it can, sometimes, have the true meaning of the scripture lost or changed. It is a hit-or-miss version that is well worth using sometimes, but you have to make sure that it is staying true to the true Word of God.
Whatever translation you choose to use, make sure that the true meaning of God’s Words have been preserved. This may take a lot of diligence, but we need to be more diligent in our study anyways. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as an absolutely perfect English rendering of God’s Word because it has been translated by man, but we can try hard to find what God’s plan and perfect will is for us, especially since we are aided by the Holy Spirit. Also keep in mind that when ever you are studying with someone, realize that they may be on a different level than you are and try to find a version of the Bible that is good and that they can understand.
May God be with us all as we make these decisions and as we study the Word.
raymond, a child of the King
Sunday, May 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Raymond,
Wow, what a great post. I first read it yesterday, and couldn't forget it. Due to that, I posted about it on my own blog this afternoon. You can view the post at www.writersheart.blogspot.com. I linked to you and then wrote some of the thoughts God brought to mind after reading your post. Hope that's okay. Also, would it be okay if the post I wrote based on yours get published on Crossmap? They sometimes publish some of what I write, and while I'm not sure I'll submit that particular post to them, I might. I would be sure to let you know if it's published there and when. Please let me know if any of this is not okay with you. Take care, my brother, and may God bless!
Sincerely,
Brooke Bergan
Post a Comment